It’s been a few days since we got back but it’s only now that I have the mental energy to do a post (don’t really have the time but here it goes anyway).
This morning we were up at 3am, on the road by 3:30 and on the Mountain by 4. The organizers have made some changes for this year and it’s now far less rushed with fewer cars, plentiful parking and more runs. Big thumbs up. As always we start setting up in the dark and get ready to run at first light.
The drive thankfully was boring – that’s how I like them. 15 hours the first day, then a brief stop in a motel, then 8 hours the second day starting at 4 am and arriving at noon, directly at Pikes Peak International Raceway for a brief shakedown. Some nice views of the Mountain on the way. It is cold up there (29 degrees forecast for the morning) but down in Colorado Springs it’s hot – feels like 90+.
The challenges just keep coming and we just have to take them on as they come. The least of our worries, but adding to them, is the fact that Jonathan’s crew credentials for the test went to our old address, and Rodney’s to Australia. More significant – yesterday we finally got the two sets of custom D2 wheels, with the 18×12 rears allowing us to run 335 rear tires. Every bit helps there.
We worked though the weekend, holiday and all, and all day today. Technically I’m still working now at 11:30pm. The testing on the Mountain is this coming weekend, which means we have to leave very early Thursday. There are many things happening at once so we must have both plans and contingencies. The plan was to have both cars ready to test at ORP tomorrow, make any final adjustments Wednesday and get on the road. At this point, while the D2RS will be ready, the D1PPS most likely will not. Definitely not in time to get an ORP test in, and I don’t want to send it up Pikes Peak without that. So the contingency is for Rodney and Jonathan to share the D2RS during the first test. We already know what to expect from the D1PPS platform so the main goal is to just get Rodney as much seat time on the course as possible. And verify a couple of changes to the D2RS, of course, the new bodywork being not the least of them.
Testing on the Mountain is now less than a week away. And we still don’t even fully know how we’re going to get there, if both cars are ready. Our normal trailer only holds one and our plan to have two custom trailers built by now has gotten only as far as having the custom axles made for both. Not zero but not close. So basically the plan is to cross each bridge just as we get to it, and improvise-adapt-overcome as need be.
One of my sayings is “Those who really want to do something look for a way. Those who just want to talk about doing look for an excuse”. If we wanted excuses, there’s no shortage of them lately. Quitting is easy. Looking for a way is hard, finding it even harder. But not impossible.
Well, if this were easy then everyone would be doing it. Or so the saying goes. There are occasions when we question whether we should be doing it. And then we keep going.
The challenges continue but we are relentless and take them as they come.
Small delays are inevitable, but the big problem is that they tend to accumulate. Now, we have 10 days until we leave for testing on the Mountain. We’ve had delays in receiving (and occasionally even ordering) parts, machining, getting materials, process issues, etc. All solvable individually and we have been solving them as they come up. As you’ve probably surmised from the picture above, the D2 body panels are finally here so I will start with that.